re: Anthocyanin

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 09:23:17 PST

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 09:23:17 -0800
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Anthocyanin

Hi Phil and all,

     I wrote a thread the other day about my seedling Heliamphora which I
suspected might possibly be a natural hybrid to explain the plants better
growth ( hybrid vigor, or heterosis ) and its apparent darker red
coloration. I misquoted Phil Sheridan in saying that he reported that
natural Sarracenia hybrids have more anthocyanin red. Sorry Phil, I
retract my statement. I confused your June 1997 CPN article -Genetics of
Sarracenia Leaf and Flower Color.

Phil replied:
>Ivan made a statement that I said Sarracenia hybrids have more
anthocyanin than
>species. Ivan, I don't recall saying that. Perhaps there is a
misunderastanding
>somewhere, please let me know where this came from.
>Dr. Rob Griesbach of USDA and I are now submitting a paper to
HortScience on the
>characterization of Sarracenia anthocyanins. Stay tuned! I think you
will find
>it interesting.
>Sincerely,
>Phil Sheridan
>Director
>Meadowview Biological
>Research Station

Ivan again:
 Anyway, refound the information I was refering to in an American
Scientist magazine May-June 1982 titled The Gulf Coast Pitcher Plant Bogs
by George W. Folkerts. On page 265 Mr. Folkerts tells, "I have found that
hybrids often possess abnormally large amounts of the plant pigment
anthocyanin distributed in unusual patterns". The article goes on to tell
that Sarracenia hybrids are at a disadvantage in the long run. An
especially good example of this is shown with S. purpurea X S. alata.
This hybrid has taller pitchers than purpurea with the open hood which
can become filled with rain water causing the pitcher to topple over
dumping its contents.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California