Sarracenia rosea: A new Sarracenia species

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 10:28:16 PST

Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 10:28:16 -0800 (PST)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia rosea: A new Sarracenia species

Hey folks,

I saw in the latest issue of SIDA (18:4), several authors have written a
description of what they consider to be a new species of Sarracenia!

This species, called Sarracenia rosea, will test the ranks of CPers the
world over, as some may accept it and others may not. Essentially, it is a
subpopulation of plants that, before this paper, would have been lumped
with Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea.

Two of the authors, Case & Case, are long-time workers in Sarracenia, and
their opinions should not be taken lightly... I don't have time to write
more (I'm preparing for some talks and a business trip), so go to your
library, get a copy of the paper, and make your own decisions.

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
Conservation Coeditor
barry@carnivorousplants.org