Re: N. carunculata/talangensis

From: Malesiana Tropicals (malesiana@tropicals.com.my)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 01:09:43 PST

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:09:43 +0800
From: "Malesiana Tropicals" <malesiana@tropicals.com.my>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. carunculata/talangensis

Some of the confusion here may have been caused by the fact that
both N. talangensis AND N.
bongso (which may or may not be N. carunculata - but that is
another debate altogether) both occur on G. Talang. The N.
bongso plants are much more difficult to find and are seldom seen
by most climbers, but they are indeed there. These two species
are very different and could not bee asily confused in the wild.
In fact, IMHO I would rank N. talangensis as one of the most
distinctive of the otherwise often-confusing plethora of Sumatran
Nepenthes, and it is perhaps due to faulty or inadequate
herbarium material that this plant was ever placed with N.
bongso. In any case, seed collected from G. Talang in the past
has often been distributed as N. bongso (particularly before N.
talangensis was published in1986), although it is most likely to
have actually been N. talangensis.

>I bought a plant in 94 labeled as N. carunculata from Gunung Talang
>from A. Wistuba. This plant does not look like pictures of N.
>talangensis that I have seen but does look somewhat >like the pictures
>of the natural hybrid N. talangensis x inermis...

I'm sure that Andreas (who has published N. talangensis) knows
quite well from which parent
stock he has obtained his seed and as I mentioned earlier it
would not be easy to mistake N. bongso/carunculata for N.
talangensis. Keep in mind that young plants of N.
bongso/carunculata may not yet show the flared peristome which is
usually characteristic of
this species.

Best regards,
Ch'ien Lee

--
Malesiana Tropicals Sdn. Bhd.
1st Floor, Lot 4909, Sect. 64 KTLD, Upland Shop House, Jln.