airlayering H. tatei.

From: Sunpitcher@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 19:01:11 PST

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 22:01:11 EST
From: Sunpitcher@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: airlayering H. tatei.

I said I'd let you guys know how the airlayering of my huge tatei was
progressing. (Some of you have or have seen a photo of this plant in its
heyday). The top part of the plant has been growing like gang busters even
though it was only attached to the stem and roots by a tiny piece of tissue.
I had finally decided to decapitate the plant and removed the saran wrap from
the stem and believe it or not--there are these monster roots popping out of
the stem way above where the air layer cut is. Suprised me!! These roots
are so fat and fleshy that they look more like nodes popping than roots. I
think I'll let them get a little longer before I put it in a pot. Another
good thing, got plants coming up from the roots! I was hoping this would
happen before I ran out of patience with the whole experiment. So now you
know, you CAN air layer a stem forming Heliamphora. :)

Angie Nichols. South Carolina, USA