Carnivorous Liverworts!!

From: Richard Jobson (r.jobson@botany.uq.edu.au)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 00:48:03 PDT

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:48:03 +1000
From: "Richard Jobson" <r.jobson@botany.uq.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Carnivorous Liverworts!!

Hi There,
Just came across a paper on certain species of Liverworts that
have been found to capture and digest protozoa in their little water
sacs. This is not a joke like the one that (almost) fooled me last
Saturday!
I have not looked the paper over properly yet but I remember
someone on the list once asked the question of other
"undiscovered" carnivorous taxa. If your library holds the journal
'Plant Biology' the referrence is Barthlott et al. (2000) vol. 2, pp 93-
97. Have a look.

Also, has anyone germinated the Utricularia violacea (Bullsbrook,
WA) from Allen Lowrie. Mine were all cleistogamous (flowers did
not open properly). Anyone else experience this.
Best,
Rich.