Carnivorous Orchids

From: Hideka Kobayashi (hkobayashi4@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 06:27:48 PDT

Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 08:27:48 CDT
From: "Hideka Kobayashi" <hkobayashi4@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Carnivorous Orchids

Hi, I read about this orchid a few years ago in AOS (American Orchid
Society) Bulletin. The species is related Spiranthes, and fairly
inconspicuous and small in nature. Supposedly, this species had specialized
leaves which appeared to be trap-like, but the evidence was inconclusive.
There was no mention on digestive enzymes. I am curious if anyone knows more
on this. The magazine occasionally has an 'April Fool' story, but this was
not. I think I also saw this in 'Garden Design,' too.

Hideka