Re: wild-collected....

From: bruce dudley (bddudley@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 06:28:45 PDT

Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 06:28:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce dudley <bddudley@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: wild-collected....

Hi all,
The one thing about age is that there is the chance it
brings with it experience and wisdom (sometimes....)
I, once upon a time, would never have agreed that
taking plants from the wild would be a wise thing.
Now, though, I see that native populations will never
survive. Therefore, Paul, I agree with your idea that
we need to collect as much variety of the plants left
in the wild and proprogate them, AND SHARE them with
everyone who truly appreciates these plants. If we
don't, we will risk losing important traits forever to
the bulldozers and uncaring people who think
carnivorous plants are in the same category as
dandeleons or crab grass.

BTW: "SHARING" means giving plants to each other free
of charge sometimes.

It's not my wish to see all the wild stuff be taken
away by greedy collectors, but, there's no stopping
them now!!!!!

On the topic of safely sharing one's ideas Paul, I
too, think that opinions should be savored and not
squashed. Being a teacher, I have found the best way
to enlighten an uneducated person is not to "jump" but
to coax and persuade. It is safer to sit in the
shadows, though. I always call on students from the
back of the room first! :-) Your need to warn others
not to jump on you (at least that is what I gleem from
your comments) is a wise one on this site. Who here
hasn't been jumped yet???? Educated people should
treat each other better than I see here.

Bruce

http://invites.yahoo.com