Re: wild-collected plants and policies concerning them

From: Michael Hunt (MPHCJ5@email.msn.com)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 12:47:29 PDT

Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 15:47:29 -0400
From: "Michael Hunt" <MPHCJ5@email.msn.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: wild-collected plants and policies concerning them

----- Original Message -----
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2000 10:53 PM

> And what's your stand, then, on privately owned bogs? Even when
> re-seeded regularly, do these plants qualify as "wild Collected"? I
> Know a nurseryman in New York that bought two, rather than have his
> township drain them, and he harvests plants every spring. But he
> has been lambasted for selling "wild collected" even here in this
> forum.

Steve,

That's not the reason this "Nurseryman" in New York gets slammed.
I can add that back in the 70's on several occasions I ran into locals
collecting huge amounts of Dionaea, Pinguicula, and Sarracenia in the Green
Swamp North Carolina. On a couple occasions they took of running thinking we
were the law. But I did manage to talk to some of these men, and they told
of the prices they were getting and who the out of state nurseries were.
They would walk along in a line filling burlap bags and pillow cases with
cp. I also witnessed this in Holly Shelter Swamp in North Carolina. It is
true not all the firms were out of state, but one of the worst was in the NE
USA.
Further, a certain nurseryman contacted me wanting hundreds of Florida
Pinguicula pumila. This species isn't in bad shape but it is so easy to get
going through seed why field collect hundreds of plants every few months??
Do you remember a state park in Al that lost most of its S. oreophila
population to a commercial nursery?
~Mike