Re: bird dispersion

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 02:41:57 PDT

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 10:41:57 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: bird dispersion

John,

>> In regards to the re-growth after desiccation - go grab some U.
>> gibba and dried it out for a month or two then stick the mass back
>> in the water and see if it re grows - it will!!
>
>Rich and Filippo,
>
>Thanks for passing the info on. Rich's contribution has helped me to
>understand this a little better. It's still hard to think of U.Gibba, a thin
>aquatic, drying out and then re-animating itself when it hits water again.
>I guess that i'll have to have a go at this experiment myself (but as i can't
>keep any aquatic Utrics for any great length of time, in IDEAL conditions I
>may have some trouble with this experiment. LOL.)

I can confirm this fact. I have U. gibba in an old aquarium in my heated
greenhouse. Each winter the aquarium is allowed to get almost bone dry.
The Utric also dries to form a green mat with the algae it grows with.
Last year when my heater failed the temperature dropped to around minus
5 Celsius. Guess what? The Utric is growing this summer again. This is a
plant that seems to thrive on abuse, which is probably why I'm able to
grow it!

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk