Re: P. grandiflora

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 02:52:12 PDT

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 10:52:12 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: P. grandiflora

Kevin,

>Help! My Pinguicula grandiflora is sending up hibernation buds and it's the
>middle of summer! First the leaves died (oh no!), then this funny little
>crown started poking it's head up through the middle. What do I do?? The
>plant has been grown underneath flourescent lights in a 60-70 degree room.
>I've only owned it for 5 months. I bet it's previous owner never let it go
>dormant. What do you think? Question is, what do I do now? Try to
>accustom it's environment to winter conditions? Should it have an extra
>long winter? If I ignore them will they go away? Oy Vey!

This is not too unusual. Summer heat can send the hibernacula forming
Pinguiculas into early dormancy but the time of year that these plants
form their hibernacula probably also varies with different species.

For instance, my P. grandiflora var. rosea are starting to form their
hibernacula now. Other clones and species will grow through to late fall
before they go dormant.

While dormant keep the plants cool and damp. Lighting is probably not
essential as long as the temperature is low enough. I have heard of some
growers that pack hibernaculum in ziploc bags in the fridge. Wrap the
hibernaculum in damp live sphagnum (damp vermiculite is a good
alternative if you don't have any live sphagnum). Check the bags once a
month repotting them in the spring.

Alternatively you can keep the dormant plants outside or in an unheated
greenhouse. If you keep them outside watch out for slugs and other pests
though.

Regards
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk