Re: subulata mucilage

From: Pierre Gelinaud (piilou@multimania.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 19:13:25 PDT

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:13:25 +0900
From: "Pierre Gelinaud" <piilou@multimania.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: subulata mucilage

> Hi There,
> Wondering if anyone growing Utricularia has notice that U. subulata
> can produce a sticky mucilage at each bract on the inflorescence.
> These blobs may be a protective mechanism from crawling
> critters? These plants never cease to amaze. Anyone notice it?
> Best,
> Rich.

Hi Rich an all,

I didn't notice this on U.subulata (because I didn't really look closely)
but I was wondering why, after summer, many utricularias (gibba, livida,
sandersonii) have some mould on their flower stalks when flowering is over.
It means there is something on it like mucilage or nectar...

It could be to attract or defend. Perhaps you can start analysing different
ones in your lab to tell us what it is. (-_-)

Pierre Gelinaud
http://www.multimania.com/piilou/
http://www.ii-okinawa.ne.jp/people/a-miya/
piilou@multimania.com