N. ventricosa seed for sale

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 20:14:15 PDT

Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 23:14:15 -0400
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. ventricosa seed for sale

Dear List,

    I have been successful in creating two sets seed of the species
    N. ventricosa. I want to make the seed available to growers on
    the list while it is still very fresh. I have seed of:

(A) N. ventricosa (Normal yellow pitchers with red speckles and
highlights) * N. ventricosa (deep red peristome, #125) and (B) N.
ventricosa (Normal yellow pitchers with red speckles and highlights)
* N. ventricosa (entire pitcher solid pink)

N. ventricosa is an interesting, easily grown highland Nepenthes.
Both the upper and lower pitchers have nice hourglass shape with a
wide peristome. It make's for a very good beginner plant,
especially if you can provide it with cool nights. I suggest using
seedling orchid mix with some peatmoss/sand 50:50 added to "gel" the
orchid mix together. I also chop up living Sphagnum moss and and
use it as a top dressing for Nepenthes seedlings. Note: This may
not be the best way to germinate them, this is just what I do.

Here's the deal:

    I will take orders for seed on a first come (in order of e-mails
    received in my inbox) first serve basis. I will explain
    everything now, but you have to email me and wait until I can
    confirm that the seed you want is still available before you do
    anything else. The seed will be $4.00 US (international orders
    welcome for seed) per packet of more than sixty seed each. I
    will need for you to supply a bubble wrap SASE (self addressed,
    stamped envelope). I want to try and spread the seed to as many
    people as possible, so I may limit the number of packets to one
    of each (A and B) per order depending on the interest I see in
    the next couple days. So put down for as many seed packets as
    you do want, but I will try to satisfy as many orders as
    possible. I would like to wait at least a couple days (until
    after the weekend) before sending confirmations so all
    interested people will have a chance to order before I send a
    large number of seed to just a few people. The seed is not
    guaranteed in anyway. I have produced this seed and harvested
    it earlier in the week and now the seed heads have just dried to
    the point where they are opening. I don't I think I could
    provide fresher seed! It may take me a couple days after I
    start sending confirmations to finish answering all inquires,
    don't worry I will get back to you. Recap: The packets are
    four dollars (USA). From within the USA the postage you need to
    supply should (I checked at the post office) be $0.44, one stamp
    on the envelope containing a bubble wrap envelope and another
    stamp on the envelope I'm to mail your seed back to you in. If
    you don't send bubble wrap, there is a very good chance the post
    office will crush the seed! I will include a piece of cardboard
    for support as well. I do not know what postage rates may be in
    other countries (especially where SASE's are concerned), but if
    you can work it out with your Postal system, I will be glad to
    send you seed as well.

    BTW, I have pollen of the two male plants (and a small amount of
    N.truncata pollen) available free of charge to interested
    parties. I just need an SASE like for the seed. The pollen is
    frozen, so if your females plants are not in flower, there isn't
    much point in getting pollen from me at this time, just wait
    until they are in flower.

Dave Evans

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]