RE: variegated S. purpurea ssp. venosa photo

From: chamb@u.arizona.edu
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 07:49:50 PST

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:49:50 -0700
From: chamb@u.arizona.edu
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: variegated S. purpurea ssp. venosa photo

At 05:02 AM 10/30/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>There's an odd condition in trillium (three leaves, 3 petals, 3 sepals,
>etc), a woodland plant that evolved in the Smokey Mountains (Eastern USA).
>T. grandiflorum infected with mycoplasma will cause green streaking in the
>white flowers and the plants eventually dwindle away. I wonder if this
>could be causing the odd color patterns in your plants.

Hi David,

I've seen this condition in T. grandiflorum in Michigan. It's not commonly
encountered, but where it does occur, a good portion of the population may
be infected. I have not noticed the infested plants to be variegated
though. In a certain sense, they are the reverse, since chlorophyll is
found in the normally non-chlorophyllous white flowers. I'd think the
Sarracenia condition is not a mycoplasm.

Michael