Re: Howdy kids

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 12:28:58 PST

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:28:58 EST
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Howdy kids

Peter here at California Carnivores. We had a fun meeting of the Bay Area
Carnivorous Plant Society in San Francisco last weekend. We missed Barry
Meyers-Rice, whose brother Kevin, an ecology professor at U.C. Davis, was in
the horrible airline disaster in Taiwan. Kevin survived with severe burns.
Barry had a stressful week, needless to say, and appeared on local and
national TV several times concerning this awful event. I know we all wish
Barry's family well through this ordeal.
   On our website californiacarnivores.com, we have a new product that may
interest Nepenthes growers. Olivia's Rooting Gel. I first tried this product
this past summer and had a near 100 % success rate on several hundred
nepenthes cuttings (mostly common varieties but a few rarer ones too). What's
great about this stuff is that it is a gel that won't wash off the cut ends
of the cutting, and it seals the cutting too, unlike powders and liquids. I
highly recommend it.
We also have a limited amount of D. schizandra available for $15.00 each (not
on our price list). For those in the area of Northern California, we have
Drosophyllum (big ones) and Byblis liniflora, but these latter plants cannot
be shipped, sorry. Soon we will have the fantastic new Drosera filiformis
that is solid red and doesn't go dormant (!) that was discovered in Florida a
couple of years ago.
      Th-th-th-that's all folks!