Re: Germinating seeds

Barry Meyers-Rice (barry@as.arizona.edu)
Tue, 9 Mar 93 12:10:02 MST

Rob A writes:

>around, do so. Also keep an eye out for fungus. You should be able
>to treat the seeds with a benomyl solution. Some growers probably
>even do this pre-emptively.

IMHO people are far too concerned with fungus. When I stratify seeds it
is not at all uncommon for a wave of fungus to sweep through the pots.
And when I store hibernacula in the fridge, grey masses of fungus often
grow on them (presumably munching on the decaying bits of the previous
year's growth). Maybe some careful observations would show I'm losing
some seeds to the fungus---I know I'm not losing hibernacs---but I think
it is a small consideration, especially since I don't know what all the
effects of the fungicides may have on my plants.

>>(in the west of Ireland: more sphagnum moss than you can eat!)

>Lucky you!

Shame on you, Rob! Seosamh obviously is suffering from some sort of
exotic vitamin deficiency and you find it entertaining! :)