Re: VFT cuttings, pink flowers and Super thrive

Seosamh Mac'Carthaigh (Seosamh.macCarthaigh@UCG.IE)
Fri, 11 Aug 1995 10:02:44 +0000 (GMT)

Many thanks for all the replies to my query about VFT leaf cuttings.

Basically it seems I should have pulled the leaf off the parent plant
leaving a good bit of white stem from where it was attached to the
bulb. I think it was also getting too much direct sun in the
greenhouse.

I followed all this advise and took another cutting last evening.
I'll let you know in a few weeks.

Drosera rotundifolia
==============
Dave Evans wrote:

> I really should know, darn it! I've grown this one for years now and I
> can only say I'm pretty sure they are white. Some people said they had
> pink flowers but thought it was a stess related phenomenon. While on
> this subject, are there any red flowered D. intermedia?

My D.intermedia are all white, and they grow in the same paddling pool as
the pink, D.rotundifolia.

> There are pink flowering specimens in N. America, though
> they're less common than the usual white ones. I've seen my
> own normally white-flowering (Welsh,) plants come pink this
> year under strong artificial light, and Fernando reports the
> same phenomenon in D. communis (I think it was communis?) i
> think someone mentioned aliciae (or was it adelae?) pulling a
> similar stunt a few months ago.

This is interesting as we have had the hottest and brightest summer
for years (even ever) this year so maybe this contributed to the
pinkness. I haven't seen any wild cousins with pink flowers though.

> Did the plant produce fusiform seed (with the testa projecting far beyond
> the embryo on either side)? Flower colour may vary in _Drosera_, but there
> might be some introgression/confusion involved in your plant.
>
> Kind regards
> Jan

The plant will set seed in the next day or two, I'll have a look.. what
do you mean
by "introgression/confusion"?

Super Thrive
=========

This stuff sounds interesting. I have never seen it for sale in
Europe. I was in Indianapolis last year but couldn't find any. I
shall be there again this sept/oct, if there are any Hoosier CPers on
the list perhaps they could point me to a store that sells the stuff.

If there are any interesting plant/herpetological (yes I do both) places in
the area I could visit I would be very pleased to hear about them.

thanks again for the response

Seos