Re: Re: Questions

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 29 Jul 96 16:38 EDT

> From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>

I beleive the loster trap is Genlisea.

> wild, they are filled by rainwater. Your Darlingtonia may have fluid in
> it, you just may not notice it.

If you are growing Darlingtonia THE LAST THING YOU NEED IS HEAT!
This will promply kill them.

> > greatly appreciated. Also, I understand alot of CP's go dormant
> > during the winter. Can I 'fool' them into thinking its
> > spring/summer all year by keeping amount of light exposure and
> > temperature constant?

Yes, you can but you really shouldn't and after a while the plants
will try to go dormant anyway. What you could do though is shorten
their year to about nine months. In this way you will end up with
more time spent by the plants being in growth. I doubt this would
work on stuff with very distinct rest cycles, like bulbous Drosera,
but North American CP can be tricked (Drosera less easy to fool,
and undergo a complete change to survive winter). Just shorten
the seasons the plants don't grow well in. S.luecophylla and S.
psittacina both grow really well in the fall so keep the spring
down to two months, the summer six weeks, fall the regular three.
The latter plant is really a good terrarium grower since it lies
flat on the soil. Or keep the terrarium at fall light level through
out winter. The plants will get a rest but the pitcher plants and
VFT will grow very slowly over the winter. I don't know about
Genlisea, but since they are tropical they would probably respond
to the light changes more like Sarracenia than hardy Drosera.

Dave Evans