Again, peat tea...

Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 16:39:16 -0500 (EST)

Charles Brewer wrote:

> ...what benefits do you get using peat moss tea over planting
> your plants in pure peat. I would think none unless you are
> trying to get a concentration of this tannis.

For Sarraceniae, Dionaea, and other plants that enjoy peatmoss,
I see your point. What about Nepenthes? I know some people
who use peatmoss as a fraction of Nepenthes potting mix, but
most of my cp acquaintances do not. I don't think Nepenthes in
their native habitats grow in soil that resembles peatmoss.

Not that this should matter; use whatever works, right?

> If this works, it would be nice to know what other materials will give
> the same results, that you could use to make "Black Tea" from.

Oh boy, I'd love to find something else that works, which doesn't
require boiling peat moss on the kitchen stove. Perhaps some sort
of pellets with concentrated tannins, alkaloids, etc. that would
dissolve in warm water...

Perry Malouf