Re: VFT-2 seasons per year?

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 06 Dec 96 16:58 EST

> From: John Walker <jorwa@SYSPAC.COM>
>
> Could you elaborate on this two cycle system? How many Summer months to how
> many Winter months? During the Winter months do you lower the Temps to 50F?
> During my Winter months I place the plants in the fridge. Do you think that
> your system is compatable with my style of Wintering the VFT's? It might be
> fun to try experimenting with a few plants.

Hi John,

VFT can handle normal room temps for it's dormancy. As can
D.filiformis, D.intermedia and D.rotundifolia. They can take any
temps between freezing to around 75~F. quite easily. When you
take VFT (the Drosera can handle any freezing temps with in reason,
I doubt your average freezer would be too cold for them.) below
freezing, you may find the plants aren't not quite as large
as they were at the end of the last year, but this should by no
means kill the plants or stop them from flowering. You will cut
down on the chances of mold growing in/on the plants by lowering
the temp. This is as easy as putting the pots in a cooler window
or some such. I feel that putting them in the fridge is being a
little over protective if you're in a temperate climate that doesn't
stay too hot... Perhaps this is so in AZ?
I do put hardy Pinguicula in the fridge as some can die if
vernalized early. If it is easier for you to place them in the
fridge, go ahead, it should not hurt them.

Dave Evans