Re: D.peltata?

From: Russell Elliott (relliott@geocities.com)
Date: Sat Jan 04 1997 - 12:12:15 PST

Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 12:12:15 -0800
From: Russell Elliott <relliott@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D.peltata?

dave evans wrote:

> Postage paid by: [Image]

> Hi List,
>
> I'm just full Drosera related questions, it seems. I
> received a couple bulbs of D.peltata which had just started
> their second year's growth this last summer. When it got cold,
> I moved them inside along with a lot of other plants. After
> a couple months, one of the bulbs started to grow upright
> at quite an amazing speed to reach the height of eight inches
> in about five weeks time. The other plant has been doing
> some weird thing, making lots of secondary rosettes.
> Anyway, the first one flowered today and I tried out Jan's
> new Drosera key. This is when my HEADACHE started. (it's still
> going strong, BTW.) I was able to count six green yet hairy
> sepals and six petals but in the time from moving the plant out
> from under the light and counting the petals, the flower closed.
> I put it back under the lights, it re-openned. I took it back
> out and it closed up again, just after I got a glimpse inside!
> Anyway, there are only two flowers and Jan's key calls for
> around ten. What I did come up with is D.salina... The petals
> are white, and I've been told that D.peltata is always pink.
>
> Any idea what I have?
>
> And why isn't the Tylenol working? ;)
>
> Dave Evans

Dave,

 Im sure there are two forms of D.peltata, and both can be
quote variable. Some clones produce basal rosettes while
others lack them, and they often have differing numbers of
flowers on them. Sometimes the number of flowers produced can
be because of environmental influences. Some of mine only
produced a couple of flowers this year, but I think it was
because they "left it to the last minute" so to speak, and
it would have been too late to produce any more.

 Anyway, I was wondering if you had received those D.peltata
seeds that I promised you a *longggggggg* time ago. I sent
them in the post about two weeks ago.

Bye for now,

Russell Elliott

--

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ! Russell Elliott ! ! Seed Bank Director, ! ! Australian Carnivorous Plant Society ! ! mailto:relliott@geocities.com ! ! mailto:elliott@nexus.edu.au ! *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*