Re: Re: D.peltata?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Jan 03 1997 - 18:40:00 PST

Date:    Fri, 03 Jan 97 21:40 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: D.peltata?

Hi Russel,

> Im sure there are two forms of D.peltata, and both can be
> quote variable. Some clones produce basal rosettes while
> others lack them, and they often have differing numbers of
> flowers on them.

Subsp. peltata and subsp. auriculata (sp?)? I wonder if
that's what you mean, since some people say the latter is a
seperate species...

> Sometimes the number of flowers produced can
> be because of environmental influences. Some of mine only
> produced a couple of flowers this year, but I think it was
> because they "left it to the last minute" so to speak, and
> it would have been too late to produce any more.

Yeah, I was thinking this could be the reason for the low
count also, but then how can you tell between D.pel. and
D.salina? Is that second one even in cultivation, to your
knowledge?

> Anyway, I was wondering if you had received those D.peltata
> seeds that I promised you a *longggggggg* time ago. I sent
> them in the post about two weeks ago.

Yeah, I received them right before I left to spend a week w/
Tom Hayes. Infact, we both somehow, very recently received
lots of seed and other propagative bulbs and spend about half a
day splitting the packets and potting them up. It was great
timing! Thanks for sending it when you did, since if I manage
to kill my pot of them, at least Tom will still have some. (I hope!)

I still have to send the D.brevifolia seed to you right?
Everything has been so hectic I'm not sure who still needs what...

Any clues as how to grow out D.glandugera (sp?) to get seed
from them? I tried a little in a pot set up for Drosophyllum
which likes very dry conditions compared to every other CP I've
grown... The Droso's are happy but I have a feeling it's much
too dry for any Drosera. I still have some seed left and I'm
hoping to get them in the right set up.

Thanks,
Dave E