Re: Florida

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 10 1997 - 07:20:13 PST

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 10:20:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Florida

> Hello all,
>
> I'm planing to spend two weeks of March in Florida together with some
> friends. They aren't CP enthusiasts but probably I can get some of them to
> visit interesting CP places together with me. Can anyone of you please
> give me some suggestions of what to visit. Which plants I can find there
> (Pitcher Plants, Sundews, Bladderworts, ...) and where? Special National
> Parks?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Regards,

Tobias:

Depends' where you will be, Florida isn't that big - but its still to far to
walk. :)

If you are south of Orlando the only Sarr. you will find is S. minor. While it
does exist all the way down to the big lake, it is not really common enough to
find casually. The same is generally true for the three drosera and the Pings
that occur this far south. The common utrics are easier to find, and the
easiest way to find them is to go into any big apartment complex that has a
lake or pond as part of the landscape.

In the panhandle, on the other hand, the Sarrs. are still common enough that
you can see some of them as you drive down Interstate 10 between Mobile and
Panama City. Sundews can be found almost anytime you stop along any of the
highways along the drainage ditches or any low-lying areas. D. filiformis, D.
intermedia and D. capillaris are fairly common here. Pings seem to be less
common but still occur in roadside ditches. There are a few well publicized
spots that are still extant for all the CPs, the yellow river for example.

If you really want to test your friendships -or your marriage- just pull up to
a promising spot, jump out of the car and wander off into the scrub pines and
undergrowth -just be sure to take the car keys with you!

Tom in Fl