Re: Fw: Gen germination.

From: -Tom- (tkhayes@pennet.net)
Date: Wed Feb 05 1997 - 15:58:13 PST

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 23:58:13 GMT
From: -Tom- <tkhayes@pennet.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fw: Gen germination.

Eric,

you wrote:

> Allen apparently had the same problems with this species, and
>informed me that recently he sowed some seed on peat, used the tray
>method with the water level just below the peat surface, and then
>placed them under 30% shadecloth, (Perth receives an incredible
>amount of sun in Summer), and in a short period of time germination
>had taken place.

I am sure I will end up somehow having my comments haunt me,
but here goes anyway.....

December 29th when Dave Evans was over, we spent the better part of an
afternoon sowing seed of all sorts of CP. Five of the species planted were
genlesia. Currently growing are: G. violacea, G. filiformis, G. hispidula
and G. aurea. (still waiting on G. repens!) The seed was stored in the
refrigerator it was planted in peat with just a a bit of sand. The pots
were enclosed in a gallon zip-loc bag and placed in my lowland nepenthes
terrarium. The temp ranges from 60 F. at night to 85 - 90 F. during the
day. The terrarium is currently getting a 12 hr. photoperiod. The pots
weren't sitting in water, just very moist. The actual light reaching the
plants is minimal since I tucked the pots between the wall and the nepenthes
plants. In as little as three weeks germination started and perhaps I am
just lucky, but I currently have at least 20 seedlings of each. All the
plants have at least three leaves and look quite happy. Having said this, I
am sure they will all die, so perhaps I should go take some photographs?
Let me know if I can clarify anything.

>Some of my seed are over a year old!!!!, but have placed the
>pots under similar conditions, braving 50% shadecloth.

On that note, I would like to add the fact that the seed had been in my
possession for well over 8 months before it got planted. Just my $.02

Take care & keep on growing,

-Tom- Hayes