Re: Drosophyllum bud

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 17 1997 - 04:34:46 PST

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 08:34:46 -0400
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosophyllum bud

Hello CP'ers:

I have a Drosophyllum seedling that is 4 cm in height and has five leaves.
It germinated in the fall and, because of our short, somewhat gloomy,
winter days in Maritime Canada, the plant is rather etiolated. The plant
has a small, but distinct flower bud growing out of the base of the fifth
leaf, with the start of another leaf at the base of the bud.

Anyone have a similar experience with Drosophyllum? Is this normal on so
small and young a plant? Does this mean that I will be unlikely to be able
to grow it on as a perennial? Am I giving it too much water? It is growing
in a mixture of sand/perlite/pebbles/chopped sphagnum (40/40/10/10) and
watered from the bottom when the soil goes dry down to about 5-6 cm from
the surface.

Come March/April I will have a direct southern exposure with sun all day
long (blocked by a building now, with the sun so low in the sky), at which
time I will move the Drosophyllum(s) to this exposure. When the etiolation
of the stems lessen, dare I attempt to cover the leggy stem part in the
hopes of forming new roots and getting a more natural, compact plant?
Should I just lay it flat and secure it on the medium surface? Or will this
simply kill it outright?

This is the first time I have grown Drosophyllum and any and all
comments,suggestions or tips are most welcome.

Kind Regards

Rand

Rand Nicholson(writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)