Re: rooting Nepenthes

From: john e. cavanaugh (jcavanau@indyunix.iupui.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 19 1997 - 15:27:20 PST

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 18:27:20 -0500 (EST)
From: jcavanau@indyunix.iupui.edu (john e. cavanaugh)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: rooting Nepenthes

> To those that miss our Tampa Bay Carnivorous Club meeting last week
>Tom showed us how to root nepenthes, in a plastic bag with live peat as
>soil and a little rootone on the bottom of a branch cutting, with plenty
>of moisture. So far so good, again thanks, I'll take them out of the bag
>in two months as instructed.
>
>Randy Palmer
>sfdzeqe0@scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us

Has anyone tried rooting Nepenthes in just water, or is this the sort of
thing that everyone tries for themselves and gets dead cuttings?

How well does gibberillic acid work for CP, especially Neps.?

As you may surmise, I have a N. mirabilis (Thailand) which is taking over
my terrerium but still has no pitchers! It had them a year ago until they
became "kitty salad". So far 8 gorgeous leaves have sprouted but no
pitchers. I believe that I overfertilized last August but now I am getting
frustrated. I have it in a pot of peat:vermiculite:sand in a 2:1:1 ratio
with live sphagnum on top. There is always 1-2 inches of R/O water that the
pot sits in and I sparay twice a day. I have two orchids as well as the
other CP, and the orchids are verry happy.

My N. ampullaria which I received in the mail in January died back to 1/2
of one leaf and a shoot that just sits there.

My Sarrs came in from outside,turned green,then started to die back.

My CPs don't love me any more.

John "Feed Me Seymour" Cavanaugh, MD
Fellow of Forensic Pathology
Indiana University Medical Center