Re: Sarracenia questions

From: Wim Leys (leyswi@lin.vlaanderen.be)
Date: Thu Mar 20 1997 - 14:20:39 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 14:20:39 -0800
From: Wim Leys <leyswi@lin.vlaanderen.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia questions

> I find that plants in the wild tend to grow much taller than in
> cultivation. Because the plant do grow in deep grass the plants
> tend to reach (etiolate abit) until the clear get into brighter light.

I think it's because they have more room for their roots, that plants in
(artificial) bogs grow taller than cultivated ones. You should
try to grow a few plants in a much bigger pot and see how fast and how
big they grow compared with the other plants.

Someone suggested that plants grow les tall in a terrarium. This may be
so if you give them a shallow layer of soil.

Compare it with growing bonsai. The plants are kept in a shallow pot,
the roots, twigs and leaves are trimmed frequently, they are only
lightly fertilised, ... just to keep them small. I tried growing bonsai
trees for a year or two, but I stoped doing it. For me a beautiful plant
is one that grows as large and big as possible. Perhaps someone (with a
distorted mind) may try growing CP's in this manner to keep them in a
small terrarium. But I think it's still better to buy a bigger terrarium
or grow smaller CP's. Anyhow anyone on this list shouild know that
trimming a CP's roots and traps to keep it small, is an action against
Nature that is punished much more severely than copying books or
videotapes :-)

Wim

--
Wim Leys, Belgium