Re: More on Lights

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Thu Mar 20 1997 - 05:20:15 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:20:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: More on Lights

Rick Carlstrom wrote:

> ...I saw a demo in my office of a military
> microwave powered lighting system. It consisted of a magnetron, like
> in a microwave oven, that irradiated a capsule containing a gas
> mixture. The thing projected the light into a tube about a foot in
> diameter an several feet tall where it was diffused out the total
> surface of the tube.

This light source has been of interest to me for quite some time,
and only recently has been available for purchase. It is
extremely efficient at converting electricity to light, and has
a spectral balance that is closer to the solar spectrum than
any other single source.

The light source, defined as microwave magnetron,
microwave/optical cavity, and gas-filled bulb was
developed by Fusion Lighting in Rockville, MD. The
long "light cylinder" was developed by a Canadian
company (I think) and is used in conjunction with
the light source to distribute the light. There
are some units being used for lighting in the
Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum, and also in the
perimeter of the James Forrestall Building in
downtown Washington, DC. These were among the
first tests for the source.

I suspect that the light source without the distribution
tube would be excellent for growing plants indoors,
in an area of 12 feet by 12 feet. Currently I
have 14 fluorescent tubes covering an area of
4 feet by 4 feet, and only 5 feet off the floor.
So this source would be a vast improvement.

The gas-filled bulb never wears out--it's the
microwave magnetron that needs to be replaced
approx. every 3 years.

But, it's expensive! It's available only through
a few distributors (not the manufacturer) and
runs around $2 K. It also needs ~220 V.

I'm hoping the price comes down with time.

Regards,

Perry Malouf