Re: Nepenthes

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 21 1997 - 10:50:04 PST

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 19:50:04 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes

On 21 Mar 97 at 1:13, Niels Asger Nielsen wrote:

> My Nepenthes hybrid is a very vigourous one. It is sitting out in the open
> air on a windowsill just above the radiator which is working overtime at
> the moment in Denmark. It is 2 to 4 degrees C. during the day and -5 to -10
> during the night. It is growing all the time and it is trying to pitcher on
> each leaf. Often the plant doesn't quite succeed making the pitcher, the
> pitcher is not totally unfolded but it is working, though. I am quite
> convinced that the plant will do great when the temperatures rise and the
> heater can be turned off...

I've no idea what kind of Nepenthes you have got, but your experience
is similar to mine: surprise that these plants which so many books
say require extreme heat and humidity will grow in almost ordinary
house conditions. It gets quite cool in my house too, yet my few
Mepenthes seem to grow right through the Winter, though not
pitchering very well until it gets lighter and warmer.

I'm sure that there are some species which are indeed more demanding,
but for anyone who hasn't tried Nepenthes, do give some of the easier
ones a try (e.g. alata, which is the only one of mine which is
actually identified).

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Frogspawn, etc.