Re: CP observation

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Apr 01 1997 - 20:00:00 PST

Date:    Tue, 01 Apr 97 23:00 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP observation

> From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
>
> Last fall, I decided to submerge two psitts in a plastic container filled
> with rainwater (dimensions are about 1 foot high, 1foot wide and 2 foot
> long.), some soil, and some spaghnum moss, and placed the container next to
> one of my bogs. I wanted to see if the books were right and that psitts
> could live submerged in water. I checked the container periodically during
> the winter where it snowed a couple of times and we had periodic freezing
> weather in the teens and 20's. The water at the surface froze quite often.
> I could no longer see the psitts at the bottom of the container, mostly
> because of the green algae that obscured the view.

Hi David,

    This, you'll find, is what most Sarracenia go through in winter.
Winter and Spring tend to be the wettest seasons, at least here in
the Eastern USA. I tried S.psittacina in the bottom of a large pot
over winter outside. When placed at the top, exposed to freeze drying
winds, S.psittacina would die over winter. The psitt. in the pot
survived fine with almost no damage to the foliage. It seems you
don't need a bog (as I was beginning to suspect) to grow the most
southern Sarracenia up here after all. Just the right protection
from drying winds. Recessed inside a very tall pot or underwater...
they both have the same benefit, methinks.

Dave Evans