Long Time Questions...

From: Catalano Furio (pitagora@sarc.shiny.it)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 11:04:06 PDT

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 20:04:06 +0200
From: Catalano Furio <pitagora@sarc.shiny.it>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Long Time Questions...

Hallo everybody,

I've some questions since a long time and I'd like to
ear some of your answers.

-- For Sarracenia is better the famous compost Peat/sand/perlite or
 pure sphagnum (live or dead?) ?

--I fed last year a purpurea venosa with small pieces of meat because
it was sitting in a kind of greenhouse, without insects. I noticed
a big increasing in the size of pitchers. I think it was obvious.
So, why someone says that for Nepenthes it's not advisable to
do this?
With which species have you ever tried to use meal for feeding?

--Please, tell me what were your real experiences with Neps and
standing water. Which losses, which species and description of
negative effects before death.

--I put a Cephalotus, this winter, in dry and wet places (for atmosphere and
compost) and in high and low temperatures, mixing also these
four elements (dry air/wet compost/high temps, etc) to kill this F.....G
Oidium.
But it used to die with every change of growing method only for
reappearing after few days stronger than before.
My poor plant survived everything (it stood for more than a week
on the radiator without apparent negative effects!!!) and only now,
that with spring the growth is starting again, the oidium is gone
(without any fungicide treatement). Suggestions for next winter?

P.S.
My Darlingtonia is flowering now, the pitcher size is increased twice since
last year(this year I think I'll have pitchers of 15-20 cm).
It stays with Sarracenias under direct sunlight. For it I use coarse sand
and perlite 50/50, I water from above when the tray is empty, every 3/4 days in
this season, with water at room temperature. The pot is white.
It survived last hot summer without problems, also with high
temperatures. I've fed it with flies and just a 5mm piece of meal for
every pitcher , and in July/August it made the new traps 1/3 higher
than before. I think that for high temps, it was helped by high
water level, the cool sand and the white pot.
I think also that the pure,clean,open sand and perlite are not only almost
identical to its native soil, but keep out from the roots microorganism and
bacterians more than acid,soggy,dark,fermenting peat or sphagnum.
I hope this will help someone.

Thanks for your future answers,
Kisses,
                               Marcello Catalano