Re: Long Time Questions...

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 12:51:42 PDT

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 15:51:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Long Time Questions...

> > --Please, tell me what were your real experiences with Neps and
> > standing water. Which losses, which species and description of
> > negative effects before death.
> >

> Most of my young plants and many of the older ones are standing in
> _very shallow_ water (about 5mm) temporarily. I never had problems as
> long as using an open mix.
>
> Bye,
>
> Andreas

Not as a recommendation for anyone else, but almost all of my Neps are in
standing water, some shallow, some not so, growing in live sphagnum either
under lights, a few in aquariums, or outdoors. Some species respond by growing
roots out into the water until there is a dense mat, others keep their roots
out of the water table. I have more lowland than highland species, fwiw.

Tom in Fl