Re: Long Time Questions...

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 11:36:52 PDT

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 14:36:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Long Time Questions...

Catalano Furio wrote:

> --Please, tell me what were your real experiences with Neps and
> standing water. Which losses, which species and description of
> negative effects before death.

I've found that most of my Nepenthes don't like being placed
in standing water. The one possible exception is N. mirabilis.
The rest refuse to thrive (for me) when the potting medium
is kept soaking wet all the time.

Now I use a much more airy potting medium and allow it to
"dry off" to the point of being mildy damp before watering
again. The sphagnum on top of the pots starts to look a little
dry when water is needed. Smaller pots need more frequent
watering than larger ones.

Regards,

Perry Malouf