Ping flower trapping

From: Sarver.Cindy V3I (sarver.cindy@ssdgwy.mdc.com)
Date: Sun May 18 1997 - 19:56:17 PDT

Date: 19 May 1997 10:56:17 U
From: "Sarver.Cindy V3I" <sarver.cindy@ssdgwy.mdc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Ping flower trapping

Hello all,
   My Pinguicula Moranesis is in full flower right now, and I noticed that the
flower stalks themselves are also covered with bugs. It appears that the stalks
have the same ability to trap insects, but I wondered if they could actually
digest them? Is the plant deriving any nutrition from these, or should I
carefully try to move the gnats to the actual leaves?
   I suppose the corollary of the question is - if the plants don't derive any
benefit from trapping bugs on the stalks, why does it do it? It seems like it
would inhibit the natural pollenators, so it doesn't make sense to me.
   Any thoughts?

     Many thanks,
        -cindy