self-introduction

From: Guy Van Der Kinderen (Guy.VanDerKinderen@rug.ac.be)
Date: Tue Jun 17 1997 - 23:05:12 PDT

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 08:05:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Guy Van Der Kinderen <Guy.VanDerKinderen@rug.ac.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: self-introduction

Dear CP-lovers,

        As a newcomer in the CP discussion group, I hereby present my
'self-introduction', as seems to be custom, and logic too.
        My name is Guy Van der Kinderen, and I live in a village called
Merelbeke (Belgium), which is close to the city of Gent. I have a general
interest in Botanical science and plant cultivation, and hence maintain a
collection of a variety of plants. Since I have always been fascinated by
plants possessing special morphological features in their vegetative or
generative structures, cactae and succulents, asclepiads, orchids and
pre-eminently carnivorous plants, are among my favourits. The CP-part of
my collection is limited to half of a small greenhouse and a terrarium.
The latter is equipped with artificial illumination and a clock-switched
nebulisation system, in which Heliamphore, Brocchinia, Cephalotus,
Genlisea, and epiphytic Utricularia (humboldtii, alpina) thrive well. The
greenhouse compartment contains Darlingtonia, Sarracenia (all the
botanical species), Dionaea, Drosera (mostly Australian), Drosophyllum,
Utricularia and Pinguicula species. One Nepenthes hybrid grows among
orchids in a climatic cabinet.
        Since 1995, I am Librarian and member of the directional board
of the Belgian CP-society Drosera v.z.w. (v.z.w. means that it is a
non-profit organization). Recently, the society has held her Third
International Exhibition of Carnivorous Plants. Together with other
members/friends, we studied, develloped and constructed some miniature
and automatic rain- and nebulization systems for limited spaces, in order
to cultivate high-humidity demanding species in optimal conditions
(Nepenthes, Tepui-plants). We also started up in-vitro multiplication of
CP, and the first results - germination of Drosera ordensis and Pinguicula
lutea - are very promising.
        Finaly, I'm also scientifically interested in 'CP-ology', and some
of the topics which gain my attention are the (non)carnivorous status of
the Martyniaceae, the presence of alkaloid drugs in CP nectar, and the
discussion on the cytological and taxonomic status of Pinguicula bohemica.
        I look foreward to have some interesting discussions on the mail.

Thats all from me so far,
Friendly regards.
Guy