Red colouration in vft's

From: Niels Asger Nielsen (NAN@HDC.HHA.DK)
Date: Wed Jun 18 1997 - 04:00:59 PDT

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 13:00:59 +0200
From: NAN@HDC.HHA.DK (Niels Asger Nielsen)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Red colouration in vft's

Wim wrote:

"I would like to grow VFTs that show their typical red coloration early
in the year."

I bought three red vft's from Peter Cole a few months ago. They were more
red than the normal vft's but still had a lot of green on them. One month
ago I put two of the plants in a pot on my windowsill and the last vft I
put outside on my balcony. All three plants get exactly the same amount of
direct sun (about four hours a day) but the plant-colours are dramatically
different. The two "insiders" are mostly green on the petioles and also
have green colour on the traps. The "outsider" on the other hand has taken
on the deepest purple colour imaginable all-over the plant. The only green
colour remaining on the plant is on the newest immature traps. The
"outsider" was repotted when it was put outside but nevertheless took on
the purple colour almost immediately. Make of it what you can, but I'm sure
repotting does not have any large effect on the colour.

Kind regards

Niels

Niels Asger Nielsen
MAPP researcher, Msc