Re: self-introduction

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Jun 18 1997 - 15:55:45 PDT

Date:          Wed, 18 Jun 1997 15:55:45
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: self-introduction

Dear Guy,

> Finaly, I'm also scientifically interested in 'CP-ology', and some
> of the topics which gain my attention are the (non)carnivorous status of
> the Martyniaceae, the presence of alkaloid drugs in CP nectar,

I am likewise interested in these topics. One thing I am puzzling
about is the "CP nectar" the alkaloid drugs have been obtained from.

The paper I am aware of (Mody & al., Experientia 32:829-830, 1976)
states that coniine (an acetogenic pseudo-alkaloid) has been obtained
from cut whole leaves of _Sarracenia flava_, and that a volatile had
been observed (by Lambert, Ann. Seanc. Acad. Sci., Paris 88: 185,
1879) in _S. purpurea_ "which had the characteristic mouse-like odour
of coniine". The concentrations were low (5 mg pure coniine from 45
kg fresh weight or 0.1 ppm). Mody & al. have shown the coniine to be
able to paralyze fire ants (BTW: Adwait, do you have any further
results?). Neither author has used a particular part of the plant nor
was the nectar specifically investigated for alkaloids. Do you have
any source dealing with alkaloids from cp *nectar*?

> and the discussion on the cytological and taxonomic status of
> Pinguicula bohemica.

What do you find scientifically interesting (besides historical,
political, or patriotic aspects) about the _P. vulgaris_ from the Labe
valley?

Kind regards
Jan (born in Bohemia, if this is of any significance)