Re: RE: VFT coloration

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Jun 18 1997 - 13:30:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 18 Jun 97 16:30 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: RE: VFT coloration

> From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@GLAXOWELLCOME.COM>
>
> - Soil type may be a factor. Some soil may contain nutrients that
> facilitate the reddening.

When visting N.C., we saw VFT growing in soils ranging from almost
100% sand to 100% peatmoss. Overall I'd have to say the colors on
most plants were the same, but there were some with more red and even
a few very red plants. These were distributed rather evenly on the
different soils... I think you could try similar soils (to those above)
to see if there is a difference, but use the same clone(s) in the
different soils. I feel that the genetic potenial for red color is
realized in strong lighting, and the best light to use is the sun;
other factors have only a weak influence (use fresh soil for better
looking plants, it doesn't just improve color).

Dave Evans