Cultivating Nepenthes in the UK ?

From: Andrew Bate (cp@astilla.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 01:43:47 PDT

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 08:43:47 GMT
From: Andrew Bate <cp@astilla.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cultivating Nepenthes in the UK ?

Hi,

I've been growing CP's for about 10 years now I guess and have had
success with everything except for Nepenthes... I live in the UK and
have a 6'x4' glasshouse lined with bubblewrap clear polythene. I have
tried Nepenthes twice but not for about 4 years now and they never
sprouted new pitchers and growth was very poor. I cannot remember
what types I had now, I *think* I went for hybrids to try and stand a
better chance with them.

Does anyone in the UK have any advice on growing Nepenthes or are we
at a big disadvantage because of our climate?

I tried a homemade terrarium as well and had more success with this
(better growth) but still no new pitchers. I tried feeding the plants
with a weak orchid feed and still nothing...

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated!

Andrew
--=20
Andrew Bate
andrew@astilla.demon.co.uk