Re: Nepenthes cuttings

From: KILSMOOTH@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 17 1997 - 20:09:53 PDT

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 23:09:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: KILSMOOTH@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes cuttings

Hello, Brian from Fl. here...I always do my cuttings in Fall,and Winter them
in my greenhouse due to the mild Fl. Winter. It rarely drops below
freezing,but i keep it heated at a comfy 60degrees on cool nights.I've done
this for several years with good results.As long as you have a greenhouse
that holds heat well,then i think this is the best time.By spring you have
nice, rooted plants!! I heat with a large kerosene heater and it works
great.Fuel costs are minimal and the fumes don't harm my plants at all.Of
course,i use a small amount of ventilation to be safe for cp such as Utrics
and Drosera{which i propagate at this time also} ... I believe this is also
beneficial to the plants oxygen requirements..Caution! If you do cuttings in
cooler temps ,watch that moisture level! Boytrytis runs rampid in
cooler,stuffier,less ventilated conditions.Keep cuttings only moist and above
55 degrees for good results and in filtered sun{about 50% filtered} ...Hope
this helps........Enjoy C.P.!!........Bri