Nepenthes cuttings

From: Doug and Meryl Fraser (D.Fraser@bom.gov.au)
Date: Wed Feb 19 1997 - 10:21:40 PST

Date:          Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:21:40 +0000
From: "Doug and Meryl Fraser" <D.Fraser@bom.gov.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Nepenthes cuttings

Hello everyone,
With regard to rooting nepenthes cuttings I have found that different
species root better in different mediums. If you are rooting a thick
stem cutting I have found pure sand to be very good. Firstly take the
cutting just below the leaf node, dip in rooting gel, then place in
the sand. Within a few weeks the sideshoot has forced its way through
the stem. However if you lift the cutting you will find that it has
no roots at all. I think this is because the sand packs too tight and
doesn't allow the soil to aerate. I remove the cuttings now and place
in a mix of peat. perlite and sand. The reason I do thick stem
cuttings this way is that I have tried them in a various mixes and
discovered that they will generally form roots easily but will not
throw the necessary sideshoot. I have also had good success with N.
ampullaria cuttings by aerial laying them. I would be interested to
hear if other growers have found some species of nepenthes easier to
strike in different ways.
Meryl Fraser (Townsville, Australia)