Re: Nepenthes Peat Tea

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 1997 - 05:10:58 PDT

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 08:10:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Peat Tea

Trent Meeks wrote:

> ...This peat tea business is intriguing. I have seen how to make
> it posted here, but exactly how does it benefit Nepenthes?
> ...Could those of you using this tea give specific details on how
> Nepenthes benefit from it? How it may be superior to something
> like miracid, if it works as a fertilizer?

If you're asking for the exact chemical/biological mechanism that
describes the effect of peat tea on Nepenthes, no one can answer
your question now. To my knowledge there has been no in depth
biochemical research on the issue.

There is only hypothesis and observation (empirical evidence).

The peat tea is not a fertilizer in the same sense as Miracid.
While it does have some nutrients, it's more of a soil
conditioner.

It has been published that Nepenthes habitats
include soils high in mineral content, low in
nitrogen, with acidic pH , and high in tannins
and alkaloids. Not a very friendly environment
for many plants.

Dry sphagnum, perlite, and other similar
components of Nepenthes potting media (depending on
whom you ask) are somewhat acidic and low in nitrogen.
The addition of peat tea provides tannins and alkaloids,
and may also lower the pH depending on how often you use
it and in what concentration.

It is possible that lowering the pH and
adding tannins and alkaloids makes the potting media
less susceptible to bacterial and (some) fungal
infection. Keeping the potting mix airy, not slimy
and anaerobic, also helps.

(As an aside, I wonder if potting Nepenthes in peat
moss obviates the use of peat tea. I don't use peat
moss because I think it's too heavy, not airy enough,
for Nepenthes. I suspect that others use peat moss with
success.)

As for observation, a group of plants receiving the peat
tea showed marked improvement over their previous condition,
and over the condition of other plants that received no
peat tea. Rob Sacilotto did the experiment, and knows
the specifics. I'll have to ask him about it if there is
continued interest.

Regards,

Perry Malouf