Re: Superthrive

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 18:24:11 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 21:24:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Superthrive

drake@erols.com wrote:

> Rather than asking if Superthrive works, one should ask "How can it
> NOT work?" The active ingredients in Superthrive have known effects
> on plant growth.

Well, the relevant question is: Does Superthrive enhance the
growth, health, vigor of carnivorous plants. Ancillary to this
is: Which carnivorous plants? To what degree? Just because
it has an ingredient with known effects on plant growth doesn't
mean it's universally beneficial to all plants.

> Why waste time and also deprive CPs of Superthrive to conduct an
> experiment on the effectiveness of Superthrive when NUMEROUS agencies
> and growers have conducted studies using the scientific method to
> establish that Superthrive is beneficial to plants. Cps are plants,
> are they not?

It's never a waste of time to conduct an experiment if knowledge
can be gained. If people are too impatient to do so, then fine.
Lots of growers, including myself, have used Superthrive on cp
without any hard scientific evidence that it works on cp.

Now I ask: what are the numerous agencies that have conducted
studies of Superthrive using the scientific method? Please cite
some references so interested readers can learn more. Papers
published in peer-reviewed journals would be nice, but even
something in a good newsletter is a start.

> Superthrive has plant hormones. It is a tested and proven
> product that in my opinion has earned its recognition...

I've read the label on the bottle, which vaguely refers to all sorts
of success stories in a sensationalized way. That doesn't sway
my opinion.

I've used the stuff on Nepenthes and orchids for periods of time,
and then stopped using it for many months. I don't see any
adverse effects either from using it or not using it. Nor do I
don't see any positive effects that are unambiguously due to
the Superthrive.

Thank you to the one listserver subscriber who offered to
experiment using Nepenthes seedlings. Should be interesting.

My Superthrive order should be arriving any day now...

Regards,

Perry Malouf