D.arcturi and D. stenopetala

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 30 1997 - 09:27:36 PST

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:27:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D.arcturi and D. stenopetala

Andrew, I've seen both of these in the wild, thanks to the great
hospitality of some kiwis (Andy F on this list, Peter Northcote, and
Andrew Hodge). These two species of plants live in extremely cold
habitats! I wouldn't be surprised if they grow for about 3 months of the
year, max. The rest of the time they would like it cold.

Even plants that want 6 months in the chiller (some clones of D.
rotundifolia) are ok with 9 months. They slowly break out of hibernation
in the fridge, straining for light. When I finally let them out of the
chiller they bound into growth at amazing speeds.

Barry