new guy in desert

From: Jared R. Shortman (jared@libcong.com)
Date: Thu Nov 06 1997 - 16:59:14 PST

Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 17:59:14 -0700 (MST)
From: jared@libcong.com (Jared R. Shortman)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: new guy in desert

 I grow a lot of different plants here in Tucson, AZ USA. Now I want to try
some carniverous plants just because they're cool. I am not a novice plant
grower but I have never tried any of these mostly tropical plants. What I
want to know is is there anyone on this list who grows in a hot, not
necessarily humid climate? A greenhouse here can moderate temps and
humidity only very slightly unless you are a billionare and can make a
biosphere!

About me: I am a student of botany and an avid horticulturist growing
mostly desert shrubs, trees, etc, and I have a special affininity with
tropical deciduous forest plants like Bursera, Jatropha, Manihot,
Bombax-that sort of thing, along with cacti, succs, a few orchids, and
whatever else I can get to grow since I know few parameters-as long as it
is photosynthetic! I am studying desert ecology and also working on a book
on the ethnobotany of the Sonoran Desert which as of this date is about
700pgs. I am also trying to start a nursery here in town which I imagine,
maybe hope, will be a reality within a year or so. I have a small 50 foot
long greenhouse that is already going to be crammed full when I finally get
to moving the plants in this weekend. I eat, breath, dream...plants. Hope
to learn lots.

Jared

               ** PLANTFREAK **
               ** 2509 N. Campbell #338, Tucson, AZ 85719 **
               ** jared@libcong.com (520)882-7060 **