VFT tissue culture

From: Andrew Bernuetz (andrewb@camden.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Thu Nov 20 1997 - 14:13:29 PST

Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:13:29 +1100
From: Andrew Bernuetz <andrewb@camden.usyd.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: VFT tissue culture

Adwait wrote:

I recently tissue cultured some VFT petiole cuttings. I immersed the
cuttings in isopropyl alcohol for 3 minutes and then left them in
hydrogen peroxide for another 3 minutes. Today, after two days, I
checked up on the plants and found that they were turning an
unhealthy brown hue. I suspect that I might have 'over sterilized'
the plants. Does anyone know which substances are most effective in
sterilization?

Speaking from my own experiences and from the experiences of several
others, it is extremely difficult to initiate VFT's in culture by trying to
use sterile mature plant parts. I am not saying that it is impossible
(because I am aware of people having done it) but it does appear very
difficult. Seed is your best bet, unless you are interested in
micropropagating a particular selection - which is what I guess you would
like to do.

>From the information I have gathered from various publications and other
growers, I'd try bleach (with a drop of detergent - tween, etc)at a rate of
3% for 5, 10 and 15 minutes, perhaps with a quick dip in alcohol (1-2min)
beforehand. Don't expect to get a lot of regeneration.

Andrew Bernuetz
andrewb@camden.usyd.edu.au