Re: S. purpurea purpurea stolonifera

From: C. J. Mazur (ccp@vaxxine.com)
Date: Fri Nov 28 1997 - 04:15:27 PST

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 07:15:27 -0500
From: "C. J. Mazur" <ccp@vaxxine.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: S. purpurea purpurea stolonifera

>Dear Barry,
>

>> This is one of those forms of S. purpurea subsp. purpurea that some folks
>> thought was significantly different at some level, but then other
>> researchers concluded the differences were really insignificant or a

I have to agree with Barry on this one too. This plant, like a large number
of described forms of purpurea was negated a few years back. f. incisa, f.
terra-novae, f. ripicola etc, were all explained as being caused by
environmental influence. I have seen many purpureas in the wild her in
ontario. Depending on the environment they are in, light, soil, ph, moisture
etc, you get a very different looking plant with very different growth
habits.

A chap by the name of Chris Belanger (hi christoph) showed me a picture of
purp from the New Jersey pine barrens that was enormous in size, and another
gent in Virginia has told me of sites where the purps were almost a metre
across. Like any other Sarr, genetics as well as environment come into
play. I have seen flava almost 1.25 metres in height in florida, as well as
plants that will not get taller than 50cms. Conditions (that day) seemed
quite similar in both habitats, however, the plant sizes were very
different. This genetic influence becomes clear when growing various
"strains" of the same species of Sarr side by side in a greenhouse. Again,
I have plants in cultivation, same growing environment (pot size, media,
water etc), with very evident size differences. I have 10 year old flavas,
for example, that will not grow taller than 30-40 cms, right beside flavas
almost a metre tall!!

Just my 2 pennies

Best Regards,
Carl J. Mazur