Re: Re[2]: Nepenthes madagascariensis

From: -Tom- (tkhayes@mail.microserve.net)
Date: Fri Jan 16 1998 - 05:58:56 PST

Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 08:58:56 -0500 (EST)
From: -Tom- <tkhayes@mail.microserve.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Nepenthes madagascariensis

Dear list,

> I wonder-- would a fungicide help us out here? Is a virus plaguing us?
> We can't all be guilty of cultural abuse, can we? Most of my other Neps do
> just fine. I've tried warm, cool, and in between with madagascariensis. No
> luck. If anyone out there KNOWS why so many of us can't grow this
> species, please clue us in.

I was just pondering the beauty of tissue culture...... Hundreds of
thousands of plants can be grown from a single seed. Which at first seems
like a good idea. But what if a really crummy clone ends up getting picked
and is mass produced? Then everyone is trying to grow a really difficult
plant. Perhaps this is the case here? Anyone who has grown N.
madagascarensis to decent size from seed out there? Or perhaps it is a
symbiotic fungal relationship, that we can't establish, due to not having
the correct fungi in our locales? Due to the easy spread of spores, I don't
know if this is a problem, but who knows? Anyone ever get cuttings and
root them from the wild? It would be interesting to hear how plants
originating from the wild compare to TC or seed raised plants.

Take care & keep on growing,

Thomas K. Hayes

DANGEROUS PLANTS
dangerous_plants@hotmail.com