RE: Harmful prey?

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Tue Feb 17 1998 - 09:00:52 PST

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 12:00:52 -0500
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Harmful prey?

> What about certain poisonous critters like house
> spiders and ants.
> Can their poison/acid hurt the plants?

My flytraps eat a lot of Daddy Longlegs spiders. Often the trap turns black
afterwards, but I can't tell whether this is the result of an overly large
meal, ordinary trap death, or some chemical inside the spider.

> What about
> lady-bugs (aka lady-birds) and their yellow
> secretion?

I've never seen a flytrap eat a ladybug, but I know that the Sarracenia
flava in the Green Swamp in North Carolina catch ladybugs in droves and
don't seem to suffer for doing so.

Good growing,
Phil
URL du jour: http://birding.miningco.com