Re: Heliamphora problems

From: CMDodd (CMDodd@aol.com)
Date: Wed Mar 18 1998 - 20:02:44 PST

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 23:02:44 EST
From: CMDodd <CMDodd@aol.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Heliamphora problems

David Mellard wrote

 <<I have a Heliamphora heterodoxa with some odd leaf behavior. After
 maturing, the leaves eventually turn brown at the opening (lip?) and
 this progresses until the entire picture is brown. It doesn't appear to
 be fungal since the brown is not dry and not wet. The pitchers are a
 bit odd in their shape. They never really attain the tubular shape I
 see in pictures but rather appear like a tube that's been pulled a bit.
 This makes the lower part of the pitcher very narrow and the opening of
 the pitcher somewhat drawn. The color is a light green. There is no
 red or bronze color on the pitchers. The plant is about 8 to 10 inches
 from the light. It keeps producing pitchers so it's not declining.

 Here's the growing conditions. The Heliamphora is growing in a pot
 submerged in live sphagnum moss in a terrarium. Beneath the live moss
 is dead long-fibered moss containing perlite and charcoal. A 2-bulb
 fluorescent light containing Excella full spectrum light stays on about
 14 to 16 hours a day. Humidity is high because the Nepenthes in the
 terrarium are pitchering like crazy and paphs are doing well and
 backbulbs from orchids are rooting like crazy. It's watered with
 rainwater occassionally and hasn't been fed except recently when I
 tossed a few dried flies in for fun. The problem was occurring long
 before the feeding. Daytime temps are in the 70's and nightime temps
 are probably in the 60's.

 The mix probably needs changing since it's a year old. But my guess is
 that it needs more light. Comments are welcome.

>From what I can see your temperatures are correct. Rain water is o.k. if not
contaminated.

Media may be a problem but I am not sure. I use pure New Zealand sphagnum moss
(or sterilized local sphagnum) top dressed with live sphagnum. The pots sit
in about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of pure water. For lighting for a 55 gallon aquarium
I use four, four foot fluorescent. Too little light and too high temperature
will result in odd growth. You may also want to dip the plant in a fungicide.
I have used a product called 3336 flowable similar to benelate, but so far no
harmful sound effects.

Cliff