Stagnating Terrariums...

From: Richard Berg (bergrd@valunet.com)
Date: Wed Mar 18 1998 - 19:11:50 PST

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 03:11:50 GMT
From: bergrd@valunet.com (Richard Berg)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Stagnating Terrariums...

 Group,

  I wanted to get another question that I've been meaning to ask for
awhile... How do you keep a nearly sealed terrarium, make that CP
terrarium, free from stagnation?

  I've now tried a couple different ways including:

 Setup 1:

        1 Inch Course Gravel
        1 Inch Activated Carbon
        3 Inches Sphagnum Moss (Dead Long Fiber)

  Setup 2:

        4 Inches Sphagnum Moss (Dead Long Fiber)
        Activated Charcol Mixed Heavily Throughout

  Since I get some heavy run-off from pots of live sphagnum most ends
up in the bottom of the terrarium... Since this is a long 55 gallon
setup it takes only a few weeks before my wife starts complaining that
it stinks and I resort to hand-squeezing the water out of the moss and
discarding it down the toilet...=20

 I'm now trying to devise a plan using undergravel filters as in the
ones you would use in an all water aquarium... I'm wondering if I
could somehow place some porous lining as separators to keep the water
about 2 inches in the bottom of the tank so I can then oxygenate the
water through the filters and mist the whole tank...=20

 Just wondering how everyone else does it or is this just one of the
facts of life with CP's?...=20

** NOTE ***

  If anyone has a recommendation on a good cleaning agent to rid ones
hands of vile sulfer stench please reply also! hehehehehehe =3D)

                                        ... Richard

Richard Berg
Salem, Ohio

<bergrd@valunet.com>